minimum commit id length when fixing a patch

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jun 8 06:46:45 EDT 2017

Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, Bjorn.
>
> I added in /root/.gitconfig
> [core]
>         abbrev = 12
> [pretty]
>         fixes = Fixes: %h (\"%s\")
>
> Still, "git log" shows more than 12 digits, like:
> commit 0a528ee9a52007984fa60b0c4ef1f39fdf5edf8d
> Author: Tariq Toukan <tariqt at mellanox.com>
> Date:   Wed Jun 7 16:26:15 2017 +0300
>
>     IB/mlx4: Bump driver version
>
> Does it work for you ?

See the section on "Commit Formatting" in git-log(1).  The config only
changes the abbreviated id, while the default log format use the full
id.  You can do "git log --abbrev-commit", or set "log.abbrevCommit" to
change this default.

Personally I prefer having the full id in the "normal" git log, but like
to use the abbreviated id in fixes tags and other one-line references to
commits.  This is done by using %h instead of %H in the format specifier.

Bjørn