new sysctl tunable knob for tcpip

Massimo Sala massimo.sala.71 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 09:16:34 EDT 2017

I wish to suggest to developers to add this new knob :

tcp_retries2_time - INTEGER
	This value influences the timeout (seconds) of an alive TCP connection,
	when RTO retransmissions remain unacknowledged.
        RFC 1122 recommends at least 100 seconds for the timeout,
	which corresponds to a value of at least 8.

Rationale :
* I see too many abuse of tcp_retries2, because even if you check the
RTO, it will change with different connections, routing, etc.

* It will be friendly and I think better to document an absolute value.
See other parameters with two knobs ( example : dirty_ratio,
dirty_ratio_bytes ).

>> q1) which is the right kernel m-list to discuss it ?

> net... at vger.kernel.org
> Good luck!
> greg k-h

mlist : netdev at vger.kernel.org ?