Need help to understand Linux kernel source versioning systems

vibnwis vibnwis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 08:56:41 EDT 2017

Hi there,

Being a newbie, I encountered the following scenarios when tracing
build_kernel.sh script from eewiki. Would someone help me to understand why
please? From my experience, I would to summarize the following scenario.

1. First, source is cloned from
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git and
checked for release version, "v4.10.17". Obviously it has no kernel tag of
"v4.10.17", but "v4.10"

2. As "v4.10.17" does not exist, it tried to pull from the origin/master by
command, git pull --no-edit
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
--tags

3. Kernel tag, of "v4.10.17" is checked being verified again, but failed.
Hence, now it fetched from  git fetch
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
master --tags

Now, the kernel, of v4.10.17" is found.

My questions are:

1. One would know that clone of
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git would
not produce kernel tag of , "v4.10.17", wouldn't it?

2. Similar by pull it again from
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git with
option of master --tags would not produce kernel tag, "v4.10.17" as well,
wouldn' it?

3. Since fetching with git fetch
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
master --tags would produce v4.10.17, why would not it clone it from
.../stable/linux-stable,git?

I know that the answers would be very lengthy and I would probably need
some basics of LInux kernel to understand the answers. However, I will
investigate further for things that I don't understand. For now, please
educate me if you could.

The following are the snapshot of the process getting the kernel source.

> git clone
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
/home/qws/myGithub/Panda-Repo/armv7-multiplatform/ignore/linux-src

2.
> git clone --shared
/home/qws/myGithub/Panda-Repo/armv7-multiplatform/ignore/linux-src
/home/qws/myGithub/Panda-Repo/armv7-multiplatform/KERNEL

3.
> git tag | grep "v4.10.17" | grep -v rc > /dev/null 2>&1 ||
git_kernel_torvalds
# The following is resulted of git_kernel_torvalds being executed, as the
former command failed
> git pull --no-edit
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
--tags

4.
> git tag | grep "v4.10.17" | grep -v rc > /dev/null 2>&1 ||
git_kernel_stable
# The following is resulted of git_kernel_stable being execuated, as the
former command failed
> git fetch
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
master --tags