GRUB always enters a rescue shell.

Kamil Konieczny k.konieczny at partner.samsung.com
Mon Jul 17 11:16:31 EDT 2017

Hi,

On 13.07.2017 10:39, Hao Lee wrote:

> I encounter a problem when making a bootable disk image because GRUB
> always enters a
> rescue shell.
>
> I want to create a disk image and install GRUB 2 on it and then use
> Bochs to run it. The steps are as follows.
> [...]

> Bochs BIOS - build: 02/16/17
> ata0 master: Generic 1234 ATA-6 Hard-Disk (  49 MBytes)
> Press F12 for boot menu.
> Booting from Hard Disk...
> .
> error: no such device: c5b2c483-70c2-4212-840b-da5f965d0555.
> error: unknown filesystem.
> Entering rescue mode...
> grub rescue>
> [...]

Looks like that blkid 'c5b2c483...' is not valid for your boot device,
see command:
blkid

also:
lsblk

or search with google: grub2 without uuid

or discover what uuid your partition will have (or assign it)
or turn to some grub2 guru/forum for help

or it may be problem with disk configuration, like loop1 is using
linear mode, and bochs uses incompatible one (? i am not sure here)
then bios geometry is mixing up sectors sequence

or in step 3:

> sudo losetup -o $((2048*512)) /dev/loop1 hd.img

should'nt it be 63*512 ?

Regards,
Kamil Konieczny