How do you generate the config file?

Guru Das S gurooodas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 19:08:34 EST 2017

On 29 January 2017 at 15:32, 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>     If you want to reuse the config of current kernel, you can use
> `make oldconfig` to generate config file.
>
> --
> My best regards to you.
>
>      No System Is Safe!
>      Dongliang Mu

>> Hello,
>>
>> you can get .config files in two ways, firstly get the existing .config file
>> and compile to kernel.
>>
>> $ cp /boot/config-x.x.x /bla/linux/.config
>>
>> Second, use the generate command:
>>
>> $ make defconfig
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> ~Ozgur
>>
>> 30.01.2017, 01:18, "Abel" <akronix5 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Where do you get the config file from? or do you generate it yourself?
>>
>> I'm using xUbuntu 16.04 in a VM inside VMWare, following the instructions
>> described in kernelnewbies wiki. (By the way, the download links to the iso
>> images of Ubuntu don't work for me)
>>
>> If I copy the latest config file in /boot, kernel 4.4.0, it starts to ask me
>> many config parameters that I don't know what to answer. I tried to press
>> always <enter> to set up the default parameters, but after compiling I get
>> an error trying to boot from that kernel (see atachment).
>>
>> I tried with make menuconfig and that seems to work, but it takes too long
>> because it builds and includes many many drivers modules.
>> Yeah, I know I could navigate through the ncurses window and select the
>> stuff I want and deselect what I don't want, but I'd rather prefer just a
>> simple config file that builds and works and don't waste time in
>> understanding all the stuff that it's in there.
>>
>> So, isn't there a way to get a simple config file just to develop kernel
>> stuff for an Ubuntu image?
>> I've even gone to the kernel ppa sources for Ubuntu:
>> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.9.5/; but it only provides
>> a patch using the debian config files (which don't come from git sources of
>> course).
>>
>> I just want a config file, copy it to the kernel root code and compile.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>>                                                        Abel

Hi Abel,

To add to what Ozgur said, you may first copy the existing .config
file that comes along with your Linux distribution to your kernel
tree, and then use:

$ make localmodconfig

instead of defconfig. A quick Google search should tell you the
differences between the two - and from what I've read, localmodconfig
is preferred to defconfig.

Hope this helps.

Guru Das Srinagesh.