initrd and messages in the kernel log

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Jan 20 06:40:02 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 01:23:41PM +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hello Greg,
> Thanks for the quick response.
> I investigate more and came to the conclusion that for a specific
> network driver, there are messages in kernel log which originate from
> initrd and not from the modules under /lib/modules/...
> Please let me rephrase the question, I was not clear enough about what
> my query is, as the point here is not missing messages:
>
> Is there a way to know which messages in the kernel log are originated
> from initrd and which are not ?

Nope.

> is there some entry in the log file that can tell us that all messages
> before it (till the boot itself) are originated from initrd and all
> messages after (till next boot) are not from initrd but from
> /lib/modules and/or /boot/vmlinuz?

Unless the initrd itself puts a message into the log saying when it
stops and when it transfers control over to your "real" system, no there
is not.

But you should have all of the messages in dmesg, to look at, so there
shouldn't really be a problem here, right?  What exactly is the issue
you are trying to solve?

thanks,

greg k-h