A bit of quilt

Amit Kumar free.amit.kumar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 00:11:32 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 01:54:16PM +0000, Amit Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> As I know quilt is used by maintainers. But kernel source code is
> maintained in git repo. So I want to know how git and quilt work
> together.
I have found a video in which Mr. GregKH has explained how he applies
patches to the stable tree. But this video is short and needs several view to
understand what is going on.

> In mutt I have seen that a mail sent by Mr. GregKH has  quilt mail as user
> agent and git-send-email as x-mailer. It means he is using
> git-send-email as a backend for quilt mail.
>
> Last but not least, I think if a developer starts using quilt to
> maintain his diferent versions of a patch, it will ease a maintainer
> job.
I'm in the process of making developers available upto minute code under
change.So duplicate patch problem can be solved.
So I request kernel experts their words.