submitting a patch for a stable tree

Martin Kaiser lists at kaiser.cx
Sun Dec 17 14:24:36 EST 2017

Dear all,

I tried to submit a patch for 4.14 that was already accepted upstream
and is in linux-next and the 4.15-rcs.

To understand how this should be done, I looked at
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
and tried to follow Option 2. It looks like I didn't get it right.

I started with a tree that contains the patch and ran

git format-patch -1 <commit id>

and then

git send-email --to stable at verg.kernel.org \
   --cc <the original maintainer and reviewers> \
   --annotate <patch file>

I added the upstream commit id above the original commit message and a
tag line

Cc: <stable at vger.kernel.org> # 4.14.x

to the patch and sent it out.

Is there anything that's wrong or missing? Is there a mailing list
archive for stable at vger.kernel.org where I can have a look at correct
submissions and check that my submission made it to the list?

Thanks for your help,

   Martin