Any trick to remove a D-state dead process without rebooting?

Yun-Chih Chen b03902074 at ntu.edu.tw
Mon Dec 4 23:03:56 EST 2017

Hi, Valdis:

Thanks for the informative reply!  There are actually plenty of
processes stuck in
D-state, among them are systemd-logind and snmpd.

http://ix.io/CML

> 2) cat /proc/NNN/stack     will give you a hint where the syscall is wedged.

http://ix.io/CMN
It seems that they all have something to do with autofs or filesystem.

As shown in this graph: https://i.imgur.com/C1bPHTX.png , the ultimate
cause of the
massive process massacre is due to memory excessive memory usage of
some processes
in the noon of Dec 2.  However, I did not see OOM in dmesg.  Is there
a way to adjust
system overall OOM aggressiveness so the kernel will kill the
offending processes early,
before the kernel become mal-functioning?

Many thanks,
Yun-Chih