mapping perf sample events(PEBS) to kernel code

Probir Roy proy.cse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:29:47 EDT 2017

Hi,

I am sampling Linux kernel using perf's perf_event_open functionality. The
instruction pointers(IP) associated with PEBS
events(PERF_RECORD_MISC_KERNEL), cannot be mapped back to kernel source
code using addr2line while events generated from user-space
(PERF_RECORD_MISC_USER) can be mapped back to application code.

I am using appropriate vmlinux for kernel code attribution. Samples
collected from existing perf tool can attribute to the kernel code.
addr2line also works for those samples collected using perf tool. My
question is why samples collected using perf_event_open fails to attribute
to kernel code. Do I need to prepare the samples otherwise for the
attribution?

Thanks,
Probir