v2.6.39 GPIO power off

Hayward, Shaun haywshau at amazon.com
Fri Aug 4 23:19:59 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a odd question regarding an fix for an old,
embedded MPC8308 PPC Linux system (Linux 2.6.39, and no scope to
upgrade to a newer kernel). The board needs to change the state of a
GPIO output pin on shutdown to turn off power. Up until now, the
shutdown and poweroff commands have never worked and users have just
hard powered off. This was "good enough" for years, but not any more!

In newer versions, this looks like it would be simply a case of adding
a gpio-poweroff node to the device tree, but in 2.6 there does not seem
to be anything as straight forward on this older kernel.

It looks like arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc830x_rdb.c defines the
specific settings for this board, but I'm having trouble finding
anything that looks like it would the "right place to start".

Are any of you able to give me some pointers as to where to start
digging for this one?

Thank you for your time and help!

Shaun