question on patch submission

Michael Mera dev at michaelmera.com
Fri Apr 28 08:49:05 EDT 2017

Hello,

As part of the eudyptula challenge I submitted a coding style patch on
staging (that you can find here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/4/28/148)

I had read beforehand the submission guidelines, but I still have some
questions which I think are more appropriate posted here than as an
answer to the patch thread:

- the patch is clear with "checkpatch.pl --strict", but there are some
  tabs in the middle of the line. In my editor and apparently with
  checkpatch.pl those tabs are used for alignment (so spend less than 8
  characters) so that the total of the line in less than 80 characters.
  In the submitted patch however, due to the +- at the beginning of the
  line they appear larger and thus the line in more than 80 character.

  My question is: Should I consider the patch clean or interpret the
  guideline "tabs are 8 characters" strictly (and not tabs "at the
  beginning on the line" are 8 characters)?

- when I make modification to the patch message but not the diff lines,
  should I still increment the patch version, or rather maybe resend it
  with something like RESEND in the subject?

Sorry if these are written in the doc, I reread it but couldn't find
clear answers (and sorry to Greg Kroah-Hartma who has to read my dumb
submissions both here and in the kernel mailing list).

Thank you,
Michael Mera