Kernel CPU Utilization

Stephen Brennan stephen at brennan.io
Fri Apr 21 12:17:57 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had some information on how CPU time used by the
kernel is accounted for, e.g. in top or htop. I would imagine that kernel code
running in process code would be "billed" toward that process. What about kernel
worker threads (for example, work_structs queued for later)?

My overall goal is that I'm doing some large-scale network emulation, and I want
to ensure that the kernel is not using too much CPU time, otherwise the CPU
overhead may be messing with the results.

Thanks,
Stephen