Options for adding I2C devices and how-to

vibnwis vibnwis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 21:23:15 EDT 2016

Hi there,

My questions are about the options available for adding I2C devices onto
existing single board computers, such as Panda Board or Raspberry Pi. Later
then I would ask how to get it done.

By far, I have found out the following options. Correct me if I am wrong as
my understanding s still hazy.

1. BitBanging method. That is by connecting it to existing unused GPIOs.
Need to create a Bitbanging client driver for the device with the two GPIOs
for SDA, SCLK respectively

2. Use existing allocated I2C Pins. Assuming the kernel driver for the
device is already available, then simply run make menuconfig to configure
to use the right I2c device. However, if the driver is not available. One
needs to create a new client driver. if up to now I am still not wrong,
then I have a few questions.
       a) what address is it and how to specify one for the new device?
would like wise to use the existing allocated addresses which are not being
used due to non-existence of those I2C devices on the system?
        b) if somehow, the new I2C device has somewhat similar architecture
with the existing supporter I2C devices, would it wise to use it instead of
developing a new client driver? I am trying to say that would it wise to
trial and error some of the existing supporting driver if they are
compatible. Only after testing then decide if new driver development is
needed. Is it the right thing to do?

3. Writing/using user mode I2c driver.

Feel free to add any comments or suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Lim