SMP on different cores.

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 04:21:24 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg k-h,
>
> Thanks a lot for your response.
>
> I want to understand how SMP works and what should be the requirements to
> enable SMP, This is to understand, whether is it possible to enable SMP on
> different cores. Right now I don't have a machine with different cores.
>
> Thanks
> Madhu
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 04:46:12PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > If i want to enable SMP, cores should be of same version( ex: both
>> > core should ARM 7 ) or we could enable SMP on different version.
>>
>> Do you have a machine that has cores of different versions of a CPU?  If
>> so, what are they?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h

Madhu,

SMP requires a single computer with multiple cores.  If and when you
buy a computer with multiple cores, I encourage you to buy one where
all the cores are the same.

BTW: in both Arm and Intel, the lowest end multi-core CPU PCs use a
single socket solution, so you have absolutely no option of having
different architectures on that single socket.

Greg (not KH)