Difference between config, menuconfig and defconfig

Madhu K madhu.sk89 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 06:50:12 EDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your response,

I have gone through "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" by Greg Kroah-Hartman.

What he states in that book is :

Default Configuration Options:
Every kernel version comes with a “default” kernel configuration. This
configuration is loosely based on the defaults that the kernel maintainer
of that architecture feels are the best options to be used.

That means kernel maintainer will define default configuration for his
architecture not for all architecture, I mean kernel maintainer might have
defined configuration for x86, not for ARM, POWERPC and all, is my
understanding correct?, if not please correct me.

Thanks
Madhu