[Kernel Build] Initrd not getting build out of source dir

Vipul Jain vipulsj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:27:24 EDT 2016

Hi Greg,

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 05:07:20PM -0700, Vipul Jain wrote:
>> Hi Kernel Alias,
>>
>> I downloaded latest kernel source from kernel.org and tried to build it
>> at a directory outside source by giving O=<path option> but I noticed
that
>> initrd image is not getting build but if I execute make inside source
>> things are fine.
>>
>> [Build Kernel/Modules etc inside source]
>> ~/linux-stable/> make
>> ~/linux-stable/> make install
>> ~/linux-stable/> make install_modules
>> ~/linux-stable/> su -c "reboot -f"
>>
>> everything works out fine and system gives me selection to boot from
>> newly build kernel and system boots up without issues. But if I build as
>> below I see system OOPS because no file system found for mount. Would
>> like to know why?
>>
>> [Build outside]
>> ~/linux-stable/> make O=~/linux-build/
>> ~/linux-stable/> cd ../linux-build/
>
> Don't do that.
>
>> ~/linux-stable/> make install
>
> make O=~/linux-build install

[Vipul] Getting below message wondering why? Did I missing anything? I did
execute make -j4 O=/home/playground/linux/build before executing below.

linux-tssh:/home/vjain/playground/linux/linus-stable # make
O=/home/vjain/playground/linux/build install
     make[1]: Entering directory '/home/vjain/playground/linux/build'
     sh /home/vjain/playground/linux/linus-stable/arch/x86/boot/install.sh
4.8.0-rc5-42-desktop arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
        System.map "/boot"
   *  You may need to create an initial ramdisk now.*
      make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/vjain/playground/linux/build'