Request Chinese mail list and FrontPage

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 6 19:45:07 EDT 2016

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 20:04:20 -0300, "Daniel." said:

> We're opensource developers, when we are not happy with something, we
> fork it... lol. Still, I'm brazillian and have already found other
> brazillians at this list.

The problem isn't finding other Brazilians.  It's having a sufficiently
large collection of Brazilians that you have a reasonable expectation that
at least one of them knows the correct answer to the question.

For a demonstration of the problem, consider that there are 4,418 people
subscribed to this list.  Now count up the number of people who actually
know the kernel well and reply to questions regularly.  It's significantly
smaller than 4,418.  Probably closer to 40, depending how you define "know the
kernel and post regularly".  So on the order of 1% or so....

What are the chances that a non-English subset of the list gets at least
one Greg KH?  What happens on a sub-list that doesn't have a Greg KH?

For another worked example, wander around github or sourceforge, and look
at how many projects are forks done by somebody who, in the end, didn't
have the resources needed to support the fork long-term, resulting in "Freds
own version of Wumble" that's still based on the 2007 version of Wumble, and
is now 7 major versions behind.

For a third worked example - what happened to the *previous* attempt at
a Chinese-language version of the list?  And how do the people wanting a
new version plan to avoid the exact same issues that killed the old one?