ip rule suppress_prefixlength

Matthias Peter Walther m_walt11 at uni-muenster.de
Sun Oct 30 07:25:50 EDT 2016

Dear Linux-friends,

I asked this question before on the netdev-Mailinglist, but never got an
answer (Link:
https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg133574.html).
Maybe someone here can help me.

I have a configuration like this:

root at des1 ~ # ip rule
0:    from all lookup local
32765:    from all iif lo lookup ffnet suppress_prefixlength 0
32766:    from all lookup main
32767:    from all lookup default
(ffnet is table 42)
root at des1 ~ # ip r s
default via 5.9.86.151 dev eth0
5.9.86.151 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 5.9.86.144
root at des1 ~ # ip r s t 42
blackhole default

I have the default routing table, and a routing table number 42. I could
use an ip rule filtering by destination ip, but I wanted to try
suppress_prefixlength.

Let's say I want to ping 8.8.8.8. What I expect is, that the package is
put into routing table 42 by the ip rule 32765. As there is no more
specific route for 8.8.8.8 than the default route in table 42, I expect
the suppress_prefixlength 0 option to put it back to the default routing
table and then to be send out through eth0.

Instead this configuration takes the whole machine offline:

root at des1 ~ # ping 8.8.8.8
connect: Invalid argument

When I delete the ip rule 32765 containing the suppress_prefixlength,
the machine is back online.

Do I not understand the suppress_prefixlength-feature correctly or is
this a bug? I tested with Kernel 4.7 and 4.6, both show the same
behaviour as described above.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Regards,
Matthias