Booting of Linux kernel

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Oct 2 10:48:20 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016, 8:10 PM Er Krishna <erkrishna at gmail.com
<mailto:erkrishna at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     Hi all
>
>     I have a basic question for understanding :
>
>     If we want to boot the Linux kernel without bootloader what needs
>     to be done?
>
>     In other words what all the core subsystem like memory and all
>     needs initialisation by bootloader and if bootloader is not there
>     then how to do it ?

The role of a bootloader is to load and initialize an operating system -
so, in essence, you're asking "what does a bootloader do?" and "how do I
write a bootloader?"

Perhaps the easiest way to answer your question is to suggest that you
study the Linux boot process - and how it proceeds from power up, to
BIOS, to LILO or Grub.  Your answer is in the details.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra