an advise how to start

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Nov 26 12:40:11 EST 2016

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:22:00 +0000 (UTC)
limor yavetz <yvtzlm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all, i am a senior c,c++ engineer which is used to complex MT
> systems both in user space and in layer 4. i have read some books on
> the kernel, wondered around kernel code and understood parts of it
> subsystems. i am really enthutiastic about writing something within
> the kernel but i dont know where to start. a good start for me would
> be list of bugs and small features missing but i dont know where to
> find such updated list. i have heard about the outreachy project and
> liked it but next cycle is only at may, and even than i need to
> dedicate 3 full months without working and it also seems like a
> students kind of program so i m not sure i will fit. Is any has any
> idea how can i find list of bugs and small features to begin with ?
>  I m great at understanding code and in sync mechanisms. i truly love
> the rcu. i also love smp and cpu in general and  vm. i have an
> experience with file systems , some experience with embeded and allot
> of background in networks but  the kernel network internals is not a
> subsystem i have dived into seriously yet ( even implemented tcp
> stack from scratch though for some company i worked in. and it worked
> smoothly with great performance ) Any guidance will be
> appreciated.ThanksLimor. Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

why not read the thread here? you could then find advice given to
others in your position.

https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2016-September/016902.html

Dave

--
Reporter to Mahatma Ghandi after his tour of east London
"What do you think of western civilization, Mr. Ghandi?"