Adding new protocol to linux.

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Mar 26 15:59:52 EDT 2016

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 23:00:48 -0300, "Daniel." said:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm planing to write a socket API for Nordic's nRF24L01+ and I was
> digging on socket code and find all supported protocols at
> include/linux/socket.h with all that #define AF_x y. So my questions
> are:
>
> 1) Is it possible to write a new protocol for linux with an out of
> tree module without modifing socket.h file?

Rami Rosen gave a good outline of what's needed.  But the *first* question
you should ask is why a hardware device needs its own socket API rather than
re-using an existing one.  Basically, if it's an intelligent enough device
or SOC, you should be able to get it to talk at least UDP or something. And
if it's not that smart, maybe you shouldn't be trying to use sockets to talk to
it.

So what are the reasons you're doing a new socket API instead of using the
existing stuff?