contribution in kernel community & testing kernel

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 06:58:48 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:36 PM, shubham k <skaushal.lk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I a novice & want to contribute to linux community. I have basic knowledge
> of kernel.
>
> Problem statement:
> I want to work on x86 architecture. I am not sure how to go about unit
> testing. I can use qemu for testing but i find kernel on x86 architecture
> too big to compile. How i can get the smaller size kernel on x86
> architecture? Please help me setting up testing environment so that i can
> test my changes properly & quickly.
>
> thanks,
> Shubham

If you want smaller kernel size, just avoid compiling modules or kernel
component that you don't need. Things like unneccessary device support,
protocol support are something you can begin with.

Also, once you do:
make

then if later you did modification on certain .c files, then next
invocation of "make" will only recompile the changed .c files. if you need
further speed, use ccache.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa