Booting with SYSLINUX on Loopback Device: Kernel Panic - Where to Start?

张云 zyunone at 163.com
Fri Mar 4 23:09:46 EST 2016

First your must know exactly how linux boot (not at source code level).

Most recent linux distributions boot as

        grub —> kernel —> initramfs’ /init executable

All the userspace affair is started by initramfs’ /init. Kernel no longer join the boot process.

From you description, I think you were blocked by the initramfs concept. Initramfs is the first root filesystem and reside in memeory.
It’s loaded by grub, and the kernel automatically mount it, execute the /init. The /init executable can do some extra initialisation
and switch to the real root filesystem on disk.
for detail /Documentaion/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs

Hope that would be useful to your.