want to clarify a couple things about initramfs

Nathan Williams ngwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 21:05:34 EDT 2016

On Sun, 2016-06-19 at 09:55 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   is all that still accurate? again, i'm sure i can confirm that once
> i start digging through the code. in my case, i don't think i'll need
> an external initramfs if i can cram everything i need into the one
> embedded in the kernel.

Hi Robert,

Yes I believe the documentation is still accurate. An initramfs image
can either be linked into the kernel image, or passed to the kernel by
the bootloader (e.g. U-Boot)

I use Buildroot to build a kernel with an embedded rootfs that has all
the tools I need for testing an embedded system. I've also used
Buildroot to make a cpio archive of the root filesystem and used that as
an external initramfs.

Nathan