Minimul Config file for Dev Environment

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:52:22 EDT 2016

> Thanks for descriptive reply. I tried the below steps, but still
localmodconfig ask for lots of
> configurations, which probably I don't want.

If you run:

cat /boot/config-`uname -r` | wc -l

That will show you how may kernel configuration options are available on
your active running kernel.

I am runing 4.3.0-rc5-next-20151012 and I have 4225 configuration options.
And the number will keep
increasing with each release as more drivers keep getting added. The kernel
is a moving target :)

> Could you please give some suggestion, that make <config> commands could
> be execute without giving any input along with minimual property.

Sadly there is no quick-fix, you will have to use make menuconfig and go
through and carefully
review what you need and then do the needful. It is a painful and lengthy
process the first time.
But after you have done this then localmodconfig will help.

> PS: I am using Ubuntu Server 16.04.

If there is no specific reason you are using Ubuntu Server 16.04. I would
suggest you try and install Arch Linux.
Arch is definitely not for newbies but their documentation is thorough and
if you have the patience and determination
once all is done you will have gained far more valuable knowledge about the
entire process. There are lot's
of youtube videos on how to install Arch Linux.

Arch Linux defines simplicity as *without unnecessary additions or
modifications*.

Hope this helps - Aruna ( and Jitendra please try not to top post it is
considered impolite by the community )