Are these books outdated?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sun Jul 24 14:44:32 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 01:40:45PM +0200, François wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 02:01:55PM +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
>
> Hello Aleksander,
>
> I only know LDD 3:
> > * Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition (2005)
>
> Since this book is freely available in PDF, I would advise you to read it.
> It is out-dated (in sense you won't compile snippets as is) but it is well
> written, and pleasant to read.
>
> The version 4 was scheduled for dec 2015 iirc, but is now annonced for nov 2017
> on O'Reilly's website.

As one of the authors of this book, I can say decisively that there is
absolutely no plans at this point in time to update the book to a fourth
edition.  I don't know why they keep putting this updated edition on the
web site, it's not fair to readers to promise them something that is not
being worked on at all.

So don't count on this at all, sorry.

greg k-h