How do you test Linux kernel?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jul 20 12:39:52 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 02:19:27PM +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> Hello
>
> It is my understanding that Linux kernel doesn't has usual `make check`
> or `make test` command.

It doesn't?  Have you checked?

$ make help | grep test
Kernel selftest
  kselftest       - Build and run kernel selftest (run as root)
                    running kselftest on it
  kselftest-clean - Remove all generated kselftest files
  kselftest-merge - Merge all the config dependencies of kselftest to existed

> There are LTP [1] and other related projects
> instead. Could you tell me please what test suits (if any) do _you_ run
> in practice?

It depends on what changes you make, to determine how you test it.

thanks,

greg k-h