Distributed Process Scheduling Algorithm

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Feb 17 01:37:06 EST 2016

On 2/17/16 1:10 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:21:35 +0530, Nitin Varyani said:
>
>> Actually it is a master's thesis research project as of now. I am ready to
>> boil down to the most basic implementation of distributed linux kernel.
>> Assume there is no network connection and no open files. We can drop even
>> more assumptions if it becomes complicated. Once this basic implementation
>> is successful, we can go ahead with a more complicated version. The next
>> task is to integrate the migration code in the linux kernel. What is the
>> most easy way of implementing it.
> If you get it to where you can migrate a process on command controlled by
> a userspace process, the scheduler part will be trivial.

If you want some ideas about distributed process scheduling, you might
want to explore how Erlang's run-time works - it's all about massive
concurrency and scheduling processes (well, really light-weight
processes) across multiple cores.  If you google "distributed process
scheduling erlang" you'll also find some work about process scheduling
across clusters, particularly for gaming environments.

How much might be applicable in a linux kernel environment is unclear -
but, then, it's your research project.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra