Distributed Process Scheduling Algorithm

Henrik Austad henrik at austad.us
Mon Feb 15 11:52:31 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 09:35:28PM +0530, Nitin Varyani wrote:
>  Hi,

Hi Nitin,

> I am given a task to design a distributed process scheduling algorithm.
> Current distributed OS are patch work over the linux kernels, that is, they
> are responsible for load balancing through process migration but the
> scheduling is taken care by the single machine linux kernels.

Hmm, are you talking about HPC clusters or other large machines here? I'm
not familiar with this, so a few references to existing designs would be
appreciated.

> My task is to make the scheduling algorithm itself as distributed.

Apart from my comment below, it sounds like a really interesting project.
Is this a research-project or something commercial?

> That is a scheduler itself makes a decision whether to migrate a task or
> to keep the task in the current system.  I need some design aspects of
> how to achieve it. Another thing which I want to know is that whether
> this job is possible for a kernel newbie like me. Need urgent help. Nitin

Uhm, ok. I think this is _way_ outside the scope of Kernelnewbies, and it
is definitely not a newbie project.

If you are really serious about this, I'd start with listing all the
different elements you need to share and then an initial idea as to how to
share those between individual systems. I have an inkling that you'll find
out quite fast as to why the current kernel does not support this out of
the box.

--
Henrik Austad