Finding when a chip was supported in the kernel

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Mon Feb 15 09:44:27 EST 2016

Is there some specific place/way I can find the specific kernel version when support for an arbitrary chip was added? An example is the Intel 82574 Ethernet chip.  I'm finding that google is failing me for finding the specific kernel of inclusion.  This comes up somewhat often here at work (having to determine how far back our Linux support goes), so I'm trying to find the best way to determine this.

Thank you.

Rob Groner