current during interrupt servicing

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 13:10:53 EST 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM, tobaccopipeyoyo . <
tobaccopipeyoyo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to kernel programming, currently started ldd book
> For the current process it says that global item current returns the
> task_struct of the currently running process.
>
> What if I refer this global during interrupt servicing?
> What will happen? What should I expect.
>
> Thanks,
> tpyy

Hi...

during interrupt servicing, "current" will give you last process' data
structure that's get interrupted by the interrupt. Of course, this is per
cpu context, so if you are in SMP situation, current will return task
struct in that CPU only.

The essential thing in interrupt servicing is: interrupt handler runs on
behalf of current running process.

Hopefully I still recall all these correctly.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant