Driver to allow DMA from user space

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Dec 31 05:55:47 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 08:11:56PM +0200, Ran Shalit wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 05:47:19PM +0200, Ran Shalit wrote:

> >> issues.

> >> I think you should use the UIO driver api, as that's exactly what it was
> >> written for. Have you looked at it yet? It handles your interrupt
> >> logic for you.
> >>

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> If I may please ask, I made some reading about uio, but didn't yet
> understand
> >> what's the benefit of using uio instead of creating a character device ?
> >
> > It's a lot less work than writing a custom char driver that will not be
> > accepted upstream because you are not using the expected UIO api
> > interface :)
> >
> > Writing a UIO driver should be very simple, and very small, all of the
> > framework is already done, in a correct way, why would you _not_ want to
> > use the UIO interface?
> >
> Hi,
>
> UIO drivers seems like a good choice in my case, I am familiar with generic-uio
> interface in devicetree.
> Just for my understanding, I am trying to understand the difference between
> writing a small character device which notifies the interrupt, to using uio
> interface.

Have you tried it?

> Is there any advantage of using uio over the the small chracter device?(I am
> sure there is. I just do not know it yet)

Try it, doing it "correctly" with a char driver will force you to
reimplement everything we did for the UIO layer.  It was written for a
reason (i.e. we got tired of seeing everyone do it totally wrong and
causing bugs).

> Another question, in performance terms which is better: uio driver or kernel
> driver?

Depends on your hardware and your application, and uio _is_ a kernel
driver.

Again, try it out and see.

thanks,

greg k-h