Kernelnewbies Digest, Vol 73, Issue 3

Daniel. danielhilst at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 14:18:55 EST 2016

Some guys are likely to prefer complex tools, but I'm a simple guy. My
first try at debugging is printing. Using pr_debug is not always
possible so ftrace and early printk may be useful. Another tool that
comes with kernel and that is amazing is perf. You may find undercover
bottlenecks with this one. Really really useful. Being able to read
kernel stack traces is a good skill too,,

I tried kgdb over serial at some embedded system. Apparently the
serial driver was not capable of running kgdb.. Some polling mechanism
was needed, but not implemented.. at least, this was written at some
forum and I didn't do further investigation...

Here are some links:
http://elinux.org/Debugging_by_printing
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/trace/ftrace.txt
https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Tutorial
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/crash-book.html

Regards,

> Hi Andrey,
>
> Can you help post some good/still relevant links? Call me stupid, I did
> google, found a few websites, and most of them are kind of out of
> contexts(don't know how to follow). For beginners, step-by-step tutorials
> are the best. so far, sounds like kgdb is promising, but it requires a lot
> of backgrounds to start with. I still have not figured out the exact steps.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 23:15:44 +0000
> From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin at fastmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Debugging tool for Linux kernel and driver development
> To: Teoh Choon Zone <choon-zone.teoh at vie.com.my>
> Cc: kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org>
>
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 03:27:01PM +0800, Teoh Choon Zone wrote:
>> What are some widely used industrial tools (software/ hardware) for
>> debugging Linux kernel and driver? Recently my company allocate a budget
>> for purchasing this kind of tools, so I would like what are the tools that
>> would greatly ease our development.
>
> You'd better budget some time to google a bit and watch conference
> videos showing debugging techniques :) There are fine videos from past
> Kernel Recipes conferences.

"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master