Device Driver problem

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Aug 30 03:16:08 EDT 2016

Gurpartap Singh <gurpartapsingh007 at gmail.com> writes:

> I am using Quectel gsm module on Arm board from olimex. While attaching the
> Device via USB, dmesg shows following:
>
> *qmi_wwan 2-1:1.0: not on our whitelist - ignored*
>
> *what does it mean?*

We can definitely agree that this was not an informative or good
message.  Luckily it was removed from the driver with commit
03304bcb5ec4 ("net: qmi_wwan: use fixed interface number matching") more
than 4 years ago...

It would help if you said which kernel version you were using when
asking about such things, especially when the kernel is as ancient as
this.  That message only ever appeared in v3.4 and v3.5, and was mostly
useless noise. The driver had a per-device whitelist of supported
interface numbers before we got interface number matching in the USB
core.  For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to inform about the
non-matching interfaces.  Don't know why.  Probably too little thought
involved in the process.

The current meaning of the message is that you are using an too old
version of the kernel/driver :)

Bjørn