[help] How to test kernel code that I wrote?

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:27:55 EDT 2016

You may want to look at this free course on kernel programming:
http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-
linux-kernel-programming
I believe that the entire course is free now (even though it mentions
costing $39).

It has a section on creating proc filesystem entries.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Louie Lu <louie.lu at hopebaytech.com> wrote:

> > On 08/24/2016 01:18 PM, Louie Lu wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm now reading *Unreliable Guide To Locking* which came from
> >> kernelnewbies.org (https://kernelnewbies.org/Documents/Kernel-Docbooks)
> >>
> >> What I want to do is trying run the code that in this doc from 7.1 All
> >> In User Context.
> >>
> >> In my knowing for kernel programming,
> >> I'll need to compile the code to something like
> >> `main.ko` then insert into kernel space using `insmod`.
> >>
> >> Here is the GitHub that I'm doing PoC code:
> >> https://github.com/grapherd/unreliable_guide_to_locking
> >>
> >> My question is,
> >> Is my knowing right?
> >> and, how can I use the function in main.ko (e.g. cache_add).
> >> I'm using these function by test.ko, is that a normal way to use it?
> >>
> >> in this doc have mention, there have hardirq, softirq.
> >> How can I test it from these irq method?
> >>

> > You have to create some sort of an interface which utilizes those kernel
> > function. That might be IOCTL or procfiles or debugfs or any other
> > number of UM<=>KM interfaces.
> >

> Thanks for reply, I'm now looking for procfs example,
>
> like this: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x710.html
> or this: https://kernelnewbies.org/Documents/Kernel-Docbooks?
> action=AttachFile&do=get&target=procfs-guide_2.6.29.pdf
>
> But it seems that all this tutorial were deprecate,
> since 3.10 change for proc_create_entry()
>
> Are there any resource for procfs to leran?
>
> thanks!.
>
> Louie Lu.
>

> >> Thanks!
> >> Louie Lu.