USB gadget mode in laptop

Susanoo Tux susanootux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:12:22 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 10:32:16PM +0530, Susanoo Tux wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I was looking into USB gadget mode to work on my laptop. One simple
> basic doubt
> > I have is how do I know whether my USB controller supports gadget mode ?
> If it
> > supports which module do I need to modprobe ?
>
> Why would a laptop support gadget mode?  A USB "gadget" is USB hardware
> that acts like a device (keyboard, mouse, storage, etc.).  Laptops
> almost never have that type of hardware in them as they are USB "hosts"
> and control USB devices.
>
> You can buy PCI devices that act as USB gadgets, and that's used for
> development of systems, and many smaller devices (phone, tablets, etc.)
> have hardware that can act in both host and gadget mode.  But again, you
> need special hardware for this, something that I have never seen built
> into a laptop.
>
> So, sorry, I don't think you will be able to do this.
>
> greg k-h

Hi Greg,

Its basically for embedded Linux simulation which I am running in my
laptop. So, some
applications I know needs USB device mode enabled. So, this requirement
came
into picture and worked on it and no use :(.

Yes, Had looked into some PCI cards, where it can be installed into desktop
and
make it works as device mode. This is one option for me :).

I think all the laptop manufacturers are closely depending on windows and
don't enable the device
mode (OTG) or I can say they don't put the OTG supported controller :(.
AFAIK, only from windows
10 on wards they have OTG support. So, bad for Linux users where  we have
capability in OS but
hardware won't supports. Not sure, windows 10 based laptop hardwares
supports OTG now.

Anyways, Great. Got clear picture now :)

Thanks Greg

Regards,
SusanooTux