Contributing to Kernel Networking stack

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Apr 26 05:10:46 EDT 2016

Shraddha kamat <sh2008ka at gmail.com> writes:

> I have strong desire to contribute to kernel networking stack. What is the
> most effective way to do some pretty significant changes (bug fixes,
> feature addition) in less time.

By providing high quality patches which improve Linux and require
minimal maintainer efforts to apply.  It's as simple as that :)

A few key words: test, explain, listen

I'd also suggest starting simple, sending tested bug fixes obviously
improving the code.  Significant improvements, like e.g. adding
features, might be difficult to start with.  It's good to be known for
quality work first.  And there will always be a question on how to
implement more complex changes. You should expect several rounds back to
the drawing board for each such patch set.  Having some experience and
"gut feeling" will reduce the number.  Which is necessary, since you
might otherwise end up with noone bothering to review after a few
cycles.  That puts all the load on the maintainer.  Which is not good.

But if you have something to offer and the ability to take feedback,
then anything is possible.

Yes, and of course:  READ the available docs in Documentation/Submit*

Bjørn