anyone aware of a high availability setup that relies on fully redundant install?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:43:00 EDT 2016

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 06:29:21 -0400, "Robert P. J. Day" said:

>   that makes sense -- a *minimal* bootable system for recovery and
> troubleshooting. but not a fully independent previous install.

No, it's a *complete* system - your kernel boot image, /, /usr, /var, and
whatever other file systems you specified to go into 'rootvg'.  The use case is
that before doing maintenance or whatever, you run a shell script that clones
the entire rootvg over to alt_rootvg.  Or you can apply system updates to
the alternate boot, so instead of taking an outage for 2 hours to apply
all your fixes, you apply fixes onto the alternate, and your outage window
is only what it takes to reboot to the updated image - and you still have
the old image to fall back to.

Incredibly useful for that set of systems that you need to minimize downtime,
but the application in question isn't one that you can run multiple instances
behind a load balancer.  We've used it for everything from a Listserv server
to a TSM backup server.

http://sureshaix.blogspot.com/2008/07/alternate-disk-installation.html
http://www.drdobbs.com/aix-alternate-disk-installation/199101222

(Yes, that's an article from 1991.. :)