build external module splited into several files

Colin Vidal colin at cvidal.org
Mon Apr 4 15:43:27 EDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 11:47 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 08:00:09PM +0200, Colin Vidal wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I'm currently reading LDD the 3rd edition. Chapter 2 says that if
> > we
> > need for example to build module "foo.c" which is split in two
> > other
> > files "sub1.c" and "sub2.c", we just have to define the following
> > Kbuild variable in the makefile:
>> > foo-objs := sub1.o sub2.o
>> > I suppose that
>> > foo-y := sub1.o sub2.o
>> > has the same semantic ? That's not very clear to me.
> Nope, not at all, stick with the "foo-objs" string instead please.

Hi Greg,

thanks for the clarification! However, I'm sorry but I'm still
confused: it's said in Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt on section
3.3, that if a module kernel is build from several sources file, we
have to use the module_name-y variable. Maybe a misunderstood the
context of this doc (the example is from in-tree kernel module) ?

> That should resolve your other issues here.
>
> hope this helps,

Well, I tried again (with X-objs) but I've get the same issue :( No
hurry anyways, I have a scull driver to implements... :)

Thanks,

Colin

(PS: sorry for duplication)