Unset LOCKDEP and TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT

vibnwis vibnwis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:42:34 EDT 2015

The fact they may work with a specific option turned off is *not* proof

> that they are "fine" - merely that it doesn't trip over the problem.  It's
> kind of like being told your car's brakes are possibly defective and you
> should avoid heavy braking - and your response is to choose a path home
> that
> doesn't involve any heavy braking and then saying your brakes are "fine".
>
> It's even more worrisome that people are suggesting "just turn it off"
> without being able to point at a reason *why* it needs to be turned off.
>
> Which gives you more confidence:

Totally understand your points. However, Xenomai has been in many
distribution, like Ubuntu. it is simply a kind of interest to get something
to work. I had been an embedded engineer for many years, ( but never dealt
with Linux or Linux kernel). There are many Realtime OSes out there, but
costs a bomb and for hobbyist like me would not spend money buying it.
Having said that, there are a few open realtime patches that make LInux to
be realtime, deterministic. To what level, I am going to test it out. That
is my intention. If you are interested, please have a look at
www.xenomia.org.

It has nothing to do with confidence, it is pure experiment, hobby.
However, I do appreciate sharing your opinions. When times, I will have the
answers.

> NVidia's modules won't work on a kernel defined with LOCKDEP enables, we
> don't know why, so just turn it off..
>
> versus
>
> NVidia's modules won't work on a LOCKDEP kernel because with that defined,
> the locking functions called by the module are redirected to debugging
> LOCKDEP
> variants that are EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.  When you try to modprobe it, the _GPL
> variants aren't available to the NVidia module due to its licensing, so you
> get 'unresolved symbol' errors.  This information should be enough for you
> figure out how to fix your personal copy and make it work (but not to make
> that copy redistributable).
>

> See the difference?

The kernel I work is for Pandaboard. Hence NVidia will not in the picture.