Question about "Creating first patch" guide

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Wed Sep 23 15:22:08 EDT 2015

The OutreachyfirstpatchSetup has been very helpful in setting up my computer to develop a patch to submit to the kernel overlords.

I'm at the point where I've changed the kernel code, ran and test it, and see just my changes with "git diff".  What has me a little confused is that before I actually create the patch file (to submit to the appropriate mailing list), it says to actually commit the change.  Perhaps I don't understand how git handles commit (I primarily use svn), but it seems like actually committing the change is kind of presumptuous before even posting anything on the mailing list of those that control the git repository.

What part am I not understanding?

Thank you.

Rob Groner