How to get the inode - no path_lookup

Rohan Puri rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:10:38 EDT 2015

On 17 Sep 2015 04:02, "Greg KH" <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 04:26:06PM +0000, priyamn wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I happened to come across this discussion. I am having a similar issue.
> > I am using Rhel7-3.10.0-123
> > kernel. I tried all the options that are mentioned above and none of
the api's
> > including kern_path() return valid dentry value.
> > My requirement is to fetch directory name from filepath.
>
> Why do you need a directory name from a filepath within the kernel?
> What problem are you trying to solve that you feel a directory name is
> the correct solution?
>
> And remember, namespaces, what does a "directory name" really mean... :)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Hi Priya,

Please make use of a single thread for one topic. There was another thread
by you on the same topic. Anyways, I am replying to this one.

Greg has asked questions that you should ask yourself before going on with
choosing one approach.

I had suggested you using kern_path() earlier, since it doesn't makes use
of nameidata, but as you are telling its not working too. Here I would like
to know the actual context of the approach so as to figure out if something
I know that can work for you or maybe you shouldn't be doing it that way.

Enjoy life,
Rohan