Advice on Linux Kernel Development

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Sep 13 17:32:08 EDT 2015

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 23:40:22 +0530, Mayur Patil said:

> if I want to get started with Linux Kernel Development then is it feasible that
> I can do all my experiments on Virtual Machine as on Linux my Internet
> dongle does not work, I am asking in terms of performance and efficiency.

A very large chunk of linux kernel development can be done in a virtual
machine (use VirtualBox, or VMWare, or whatever).  Note that very hardware
dependent code (like messing around with MSR registers, or some device drivers)
won't be easily debugged, because the VM gives you a virtualized version
of a generic system.  But stuff like filesystems or schedulers or new
syscalls are easily done in a VM.