I have a large patch in the 2000 lines. What to do?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Oct 10 10:14:46 EDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 08:02:49AM +0700, Ivan Safonov wrote:

> >>I will recommend sending RFC patch first and
> >>Get the community comments.
> >No, we just ignore RFC patches, we have too many "real" patches to deal
> >with.
> >
> >>If they like your patch then divide the patch based on logic rather than lines of codes.
> >Yes.

> >Make it one-patch-per-driver.
> >
> >But note, cleanup patches like this are usually ignored by most
> >subsystems, be aware that this type of thing is only usually accepted in
> >the drivers/staging/ portion of the kernel.
> >
> >good luck!
> >
> >greg k-h
>
> The catch is that this patch is only to one driver.

You know, providing specifics is always nice when asking questions...

If it's just one driver, and you think the patch is correct, just send
it in as normal, in one patch, as it should be "easy" to understand.

But again, remember that these types of "cleanups" are not always
appreciated for some portions of the kernel (again, you were not
specific so I can't be specific back...)

greg k-h