I have a large patch in the 2000 lines. What to do?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Oct 9 15:20:48 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 12:12:44PM -0700, Anish Kumar wrote:

> > On Oct 9, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Ivan Safonov <insafonov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a large patch in the 2000 lines, which replaces the macro BITn to
> > BIT(n) in multiple files.
>
> I will recommend sending RFC patch first and
> Get the community comments.

No, we just ignore RFC patches, we have too many "real" patches to deal
with.

> If they like your patch then divide the patch based on logic rather than lines of codes.
> > Is it worth to split this patch into several parts?

Yes.

> > Is it sufficient to place the changes in each file in a separate part of
> > patchset?

Make it one-patch-per-driver.

But note, cleanup patches like this are usually ignored by most
subsystems, be aware that this type of thing is only usually accepted in
the drivers/staging/ portion of the kernel.

good luck!

greg k-h