Without "make modules" command, we can also execute "make modules_install" command?

mudongliang mudongliangabcd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:32:59 EDT 2015

On 10/08/2015 03:02 PM, Nan Xiao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> From KernelBuild <http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild> post, I don't
> see "make modules" command. This article only executes "make"
> command before "sudo make modules_install install".
>
> So I am a little confused, is "make modules" optional in building
> kernel? No "make modules" command,
> we can also execute "make modules_install" command?

 From "make help", you can see the following output:
   all          - Build all targets marked with [*]
* vmlinux      - Build the bare kernel
* modules      - Build all modules
   modules_install - Install all modules to INSTALL_MOD_PATH (default: /)
* bzImage      - Compressed kernel image (arch/x86/boot/bzImage)
   install      - Install kernel using
                   (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
                   (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or
                   install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo