UIO Devices and user processes

Kenneth Adam Miller kennethadammiller at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:41:32 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud at opteya.com> wrote:

> Le mardi 06 octobre 2015 à 10:13 -0400, Kenneth Adam Miller a écrit :
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud at opteya.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Le mardi 06 octobre 2015 à 09:26 -0400, Kenneth Adam Miller a écrit
> > > :

> > > then
> > > >

> > > You mean CONFIG_UIO_DMEM_GENIRQ (drivers/uio/uio_dmem_genirq.c)
> > >
> > > See:
> > > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/comm
> > > it/?id=0a0c3b5a24bd802b1ebbf99e0b01296647b8199b
> > > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/comm
> > > it/?id=b533a83008c3fb4983c1213276790cacd39b518f
> > > https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/uio-howto/using-uio_dmem_genirq
> > > .html
> > >

> > Well I don't think that does exactly what I would like, although I've
> > got that on my machine and I've been compiling it and learning from
> > it. Here's my understanding of the process of the way mmap works:
> >
> > Mmap is called from userland and it maps a region of memory of a
> > certain size according to the parameters given to it, and the return
> > value it has is the address at which the block requested starts, if
> > it was successful (which I'm not addressing the unsuccessful case
> > here for brevity). The userland process now has only a pointer to a
> > region of space, as if they had allocated something with new or
> > malloc. Further calls to new or malloc don't mean that the pointers
> > returned will preside within the new mmap'd chunk, they are just
> > separate regions also mapped into the process.
> >

> You have to write your own custom allocator using the mmap()'ed memory
> your retrieved from UIO.

I know about C++'s placement new. But I'd prefer to not have to write my
userland code in such a way-I want my userland code to remain agnostic of
where it gets the memory from. I just want to put a small prologue in my
main, and then have the rest of the program oblivious to the change.

> > What I would like is a region of memory that, once mapped to a
> > process, further calls to new/malloc return pointers that preside
> > within this chunk. Calls to new/malloc and delete/free only edit the
> > process's internal table, which is fine.
> >
> > Is that wrong? Or is it that mmap already does the latter?
>
> It's likely wrong. glibc's malloc() using brk() and mmap() to allocate
> anonymous pages. Tricking this implementation to use another mean to
> retrieve memory is left to the reader.
>

> Anyway, are you sure you want any random calls to malloc() (from glibc
> itself or any other linked-in libraries) to eat UIO allocated buffers ?
> I don't think so: such physically contiguous, cache coherent buffers
> are premium ressources, you don't want to distribute them gratuitously.

Yes - we have a hard limit on memory for our processes, and if they try to
use more than what we mmap to them, they die, and we're more than fine with
that. In fact, that's part of our use case and model, we've planned to
allocate just 5 or so processes on our behemoth machine with gigabytes of
memory. So they aren't so premium to us.