About bootmem allocation/freeing flow

yoma sophian sophian.yoma at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:50:22 EDT 2015

> hi all:
> I have several questions about free_all_bootmem_core:
>
> 1.
> In __free_pages_bootmem, we set set_page_count(p, 0) while looping nr_pages,
> why we need to set_page_refcounted(page) before calling __free_pages?
below is excerpted from mm/page_alloc.c  and mm/internal.h
the reason why we use set_page_refcounted(page) is because
set_page_refcounted(page) will calling VM_BUG_ON
to checking page property?

static inline void set_page_refcounted(struct page *page)
{
        VM_BUG_ON(PageTail(page));
        VM_BUG_ON(atomic_read(&page->_
count));
        set_page_count(page, 1);
}

void __meminit __free_pages_bootmem(struct page *page, unsigned int order)
{
        unsigned int nr_pages = 1 << order;
        unsigned int loop;

        prefetchw(page);
        for (loop = 0; loop < nr_pages; loop++) {
                struct page *p = &page[loop];

                if (loop + 1 < nr_pages)
                        prefetchw(p + 1);
                __ClearPageReserved(p);
                set_page_count(p, 0);
        }

        page_zone(page)->managed_pages += 1 << order;
        set_page_refcounted(page);
        __free_pages(page, order);
}

thanks for your help,