Suggested environments for kernel development

Kernel Apprentice kernelapprentice at gmail.com
Tue May 5 03:59:39 EDT 2015

Hello Lewis,

> I would really like to know how you guys do your kernel development.
> What distro do you use and whats the process?
>
> I’m very comfortable with debian, but i’ve heard it’s not the easiest distro to build kernels for as you need to build to a .deb and apply it that way.

I'm also using Debian. That is not true at all. The guide on the Kernel
Newbies Website [1] works flawlessly. The only downside would be, that
in case you decide to remove a build you have to delete the image,
modules, etc. by hand and additionaly run update-grub whereas creating a
package does that for you.

[1] http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild